One of the most common occurrences for newcomers to Peru is altitude sickness. This can range from a headache, shortness of breath and fatigue to insomnia, heart palpitations and flu-like symptoms. One of the best ways to prepare for and prevent altitude sickness is by doing the following things:
1. Eating a cleaner, more natural diet starting 2 weeks before you arrive.
2. Avoid smoking and alcohol, as well as stimulants like coffee or energy drinks.
3. Taking some supplements that can help strengthen your body and immune system at least 2 weeks before coming to Peru, and during your stay in Peru. These include:
- Antioxidants like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, or Selenium
- Herbs like Echinacea, Garlic, Ginseng, Ginkgo or Ashwagandha
- Other supplements like Chlorella, L-Glutamine or Reishi
4. Drinking ample pure water to hydrate your system a few days before your arrival, and continuing to do so during your stay. Juice, soda, coffee and alcohol are not recommended. Remember that water has more oxygen than air, so it is critical that you stay well hydrated!
5. Take blood oxygen enhancing supplements. The following are known to us but PLEASE do your own research and see what feels right to you for your own body.
6. Once you arrive in Cusco – take it easy for the first 24 hours. Carbohydrates are recommended.